The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating for Kids
Parents are often bombarded with new information on children’s nutrition, and as a result, the most important dietary considerations often get lost in the mix. Drawing on his forty years of clinical research, as well as the latest scientific findings, Dr. Walkers helps guide parents on healthy eating through the various stages of their children’s lives, from infants to eight-year-olds, in his book Eat, Play, and Be Healthy.
By applying his research-based Healthy Eating Pyramid, Dr. Walker shows parents how to apply that to their child’s own unique needs.
Many Americans know the importance of making sure their children consume fruits and vegetables but they may be missing another critical ingredient in their diet — “good bacteria.” Consuming good bacteria — more commonly known as probiotics — can offer several health benefits, including helping to regulate the body’s immune system and improving other bodily functions such as digestion. Studies have also begun to look at how probiotics given to newborns and pregnant, lactating mothers can prevent or alleviate allergies and asthma in children.
Dr. Walker highlights the benefits of probiotics and discusses other important nutritional matters for kids addressed in Eat, Play, and Be Healthy, including:
- Steps that parents can take to improve their children’s diets.
- The myths-versus-facts on low-fat diets for kids.
- How children who are lactose intolerant can incorporate calcium into their diet.
- What specific vitamins do and what foods you can find them in.
- Navigating the troubling area of breast-feeding and starting your youngster on solid foods.
- How to recognize the good and the bad in school lunches.
- Nutritious recipes for food your kids will actually eat.
- And much, much more…
Following Dr. Walker’s advice your child will be eating better, feeling better, and on the road to a healthy adulthood.
Paperback: 272 pages
Publisher: McGraw-Hill; 1 edition (February 18, 2005)
Product Dimensions: 5.9 x 0.7 x 8.9 inches